The success of your new product press release getting published in the news can often decide on the success of your product/sales.
In this guide, I’ll show you how you can how to write a press release for a new product to grab the attention of journalists and media influencers and ultimately get your product seen by your target audience.
Towards the bottom, you’ll find a few useful new product launch press release examples that’ll get you inspired.
If you’re short on time, check out our new product announcement press release template. It includes everything you need to have the correct format. However, for the best results, I recommend reading this whole post.
Remember the basics of writing and pitching a press release
Writing and pitching product launch press release is no different from any other press release.
You still need the standard press release format.
You still need to be pitching to relevant journalists & bloggers interested in your topic/industry.
You still need to remember about trying to establish a human connection with whoever you’re writing to, and not mass mailing everybody.
Let’s go over these press release basics in regard to writing about a new product.
Stick to a standard product launch press release format
Include the following in your product press release:
- Headline – an attention-grabbing headline about your product. Make it count!
- Lead – a brief overview of the story, including answers to the questions: Who? What? When? Why? With what effect?
- Dateline – to confirm that you’re providing the most up-to-date information.
- Body – an explanation of the information provided earlier in the lead, starting from the most newsworthy info about your product and finishing with secondary details.
- Company info – a short paragraph about your company and its products to help journalists understand the nature of the business and make writing about it easier.
- Media contact information – the author or company’s/agency’s contact information.
Find journalists and media influencers interested in your specific product
A key factor in getting your press release picked up by the media is pitching to relevant journalists and bloggers—people that are interested in writing about your type of product.
An easy way to find relevant media contacts interested in your product is by using a media contacts database.
You can refine your search by filtering where a journalist is located, or what topics/industries he or she is interested in. This is a much better approach than the “spray and pray” method, hoping that someone will be interested in your story.
Media lists often have an extensive list of topics that journalists are focused on, ranging from beer or cosmetics to cloud computing.
If you have a bit of time, it’s worth doing some more in-depth research.
For example, if you’re writing a press release about a new line of natural beauty products or cosmetics, check which journalists that you found are actually interested in natural and organic products, and not just cosmetics in general. It’ll improve the chances of your product press release getting picked up and published.
Write a press release headline that gets your product noticed
The headline of your press release (and also the subject of your media pitch email) is crucial to getting your press release read or even email opened.
I recommend spending a bit more time on it and making sure it’s attention-grabbing and mentions your product’s USP (unique selling proposition).
Add exciting features and benefits that’ll make people stop what they’re doing and read what your product has to offer. Try including numbers in your headline/e-mail subject – they’re proven to improve open rates.
Remember – your headline needs something that’ll get your audience intrigued. Stay away from boring titles such as [Company] Launches “New Product”.
If readers are asking themselves “so what?”, then you’re doing it wrong.
If you’re out of ideas – Grammarly has a guide on creating a catchy headline.
Focus on the unique features and benefits of your product
It’s doesn’t make sense to write about a product that seems just like every other, does it?
Focus on making your product stand out from the rest by emphasizing on unique features and benefits. Depending on your product and target audience, you’ll want to focus more on one or the other.
If you’re targeting a very particular and specific audience, especially in the B2B sector it can be a better idea to focus on the technical features of your product. Stick to the point and mention the objectively superior qualities of your product.
Otherwise, it’s best to bring attention to your product by showcasing how it’ll benefit your customers and improve their day-to-day lives. Think about how using your product can be easier, simpler or more enjoyable than what the competition has to offer.
I’ve added a list of questions to make it easier:
- Why is it worth writing about this particular product?
- What are its unique features?
- How will it contribute to the consumers’ lives?
- What makes it different from other products?
- Can you somehow compare it to the products offered by your competitors?
- Does your product come in different varieties and sizes?
- Is there a formal product launch event?
Be visual—include high-quality photos and videos displaying your new product
Unless you have a boring, non-visual product, adding photos & videos to your product press release is an absolute must.
If you want your product to get noticed, you should support it with relevant pictures, photos, videos, logos, and even animated gifs.
If you’re unfamiliar with visual press releases, check out these multimedia press release templates and examples.
However, remember to avoid attachments as much as possible.
That means you shouldn’t send out emails with any attached images or videos (especially large files), resulting in a gigantic and possibly confusing email that will clog up journalists’ inboxes.
But what if you want to send out a press release that contains lots of high-quality and high-res images or videos (and because it’s a way to make your product more attractive for the press—why wouldn’t you)?
Instead of adding attachments to your product press release email, try this:
- Create a visual press release (using a press release software like Prowly or using a CMS like WordPress)
- Add your product photos, videos & other rich media (such as Facebook posts or Twitter conversations) directly to your press release
- (Optional) post it online to your brand newsroom, a place where you keep all your company press releases
- Send your press release to journalists by using a shareable link (plus, you’ll be able to track open and click rates and see who’s reading your emails)
New product press release examples
Below you’ll find 3 different types of new product press release examples to inspire you to create your own.
Each press release was created with Prowly’s Press Release Creator, which lets you easily create visual press releases (great for showing off your product!) with drag & drop elements and add photos, videos, call-to-action buttons and social media conversations to your press release.
- New Product Line Press Release Example
- New Cosmetics Product Press Release Example
- New Food Product Press Release Example
New product line press release example
New cosmetics product press release example
New food product press release example
Conclusion – how to create a product launch press release
By now you should know the basics of creating an effective product press release and pitching it successfully. Let’s sum up the essentials:
Every product press release should contain:
- An attractive headline that features unique benefits & features of your product
- The standard elements of a press release: Headline, dateline, lead, body, company info, media contact information
- A specific audience that it’s targetted to (find a list of relevant journalists!)
- Information on why your product is worth talking about and why anyone should be excited about it
- Attractive photos and/or videos of your product added directly to the press release (avoid attachments!)